Kali Linux – Vulnerability Analysis: Deep Dive into Nessus Essentials
Explore the realms of network security with our comprehensive guide on ‘Kali Linux – Vulnerability Analysis’ using Nessus Essentials.
Setting Up Nessus Essentials for Kali Linux
Learn the step-by-step process of setting up Nessus Essentials on Kali Linux, a vital tool for vulnerability analysis.
Installation and Initial Configuration
Start your journey into cybersecurity analysis by installing Nessus Essentials on your Kali Linux system.
Registering and Preparing Nessus Essentials
Understand the process of registering Nessus Essentials and preparing your system for comprehensive network scans.
Conducting a Vulnerability Analysis
With Nessus Essentials set up, delve into conducting a detailed vulnerability analysis on your network.
Initiating the Network Scan
Discover how to initiate a network scan, from selecting scan types to targeting specific network segments.
Analyzing Scan Results
Interpret and analyze the results from Nessus Essentials to identify potential vulnerabilities and security gaps.
Setup and Configuration:
- Download Nessus Essentials 8.15.1 from: https://www.tenable.com/downloads/nessus
- choose: Nessus-8.15.1-debian6_amd64.deb | Debian 9, 10 / Kali Linux 1, 2017.3, 2018, 2019, 2020 AMD64
- to install, open terminal in the Download directory and type: sudo dpkg -i Nessus-8.15.1-debian6_amd64.deb
- after installation to start Nessus: sudo /bin/systemctl start nessusd.service
- to use Nessus, browser: https://kali:8834/ (Accept the browser warnings)
- register with name and business email (real) so that you can receive the single use Serial Number (recommended to obtain the SN using the webpage request process)
- with the SN received in email continue the setup process
- setup a new username and password
- after all this expect 1 hoour of downloading and compiling the required modules (I suggest to temporary allocate more ram and vcpu to the kali vm :D )
- Click on “new scan” buton
- with the free version you can only scan 16 IP addresses (this will reset after 90 days)
- on Basic Tab select “Basic Network Scan” in name: Metasploitable and in Targets insert the IP addrss of the Metasploitable vm
- on Discovery tab select Scan type: Port scan (all ports)
- on Assessement tab select Scan for known web vulnerabilities – or a more intensive option
- Click Save and then Launch it by clicking the Play symbol
This guide provides an in-depth look into conducting vulnerability analysis using Nessus Essentials in Kali Linux, empowering you with essential skills for cybersecurity assessment.